Sunday, January 06, 2008

Babywearing DIY-Style


While pregnant, a friend gave me her lightly used Ultimate Baby Wrap. I still say it saved my sanity in the early days, because I was not supposed to lift anything heavier than the baby for six weeks after the c-section. That included lifting the stroller in and out of the car, so without the wrap I wouldn't have been able to go any farther away from the house than my feet could take us.

But that particular wrap is incredibly stretchy, so it quickly lost its effectiveness as Conner packed on the pounds. Since then I've experimented with a Moby Wrap and a rebozo, and have wanted to try a mei tai but couldn't justify spending the money on one just as an experiment.

Then I found directions online to make a no-sew mei tai. I ran over to Joanne's, found fleece on mega-sale, and bought the materials to make this carrier for less than $14.

I love it!!! I may have to get a "real" mei tai now. If you try the pattern, I highly suggest getting a striped fabric like I did. It'll help you keep your cutting lines straight. I would also prefer slightly longer straps, so if I do it again, I'll get 2.5 or 3 yards instead of 2. Finally, I added a flap to act as a sleeping hood by cutting the straps as directed, but cutting across 12" higher.

Have fun!

No comments: