Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Magic Loop -- Where Have You Been All My Sock Knitting Life?

Curiosity got the better of me during the 2007 Christmas knitting season, and I bought the little book that teaches the magic loop circular knitting method. Don't get me wrong -- I still love my DPNs (double-pointed needles) -- but all of a sudden everyone around me seemed to be talking about magic loop, and I wanted to understand the hype. Kinda like when I broke down and read The DaVinci Code.

But this particular hop onto the fad-of-the-moment bandwagon was much more fruitful. This method of circular knitting rocks! One set of circular needles knits anything of any diameter! No more trying to fit the length of the cable to the diameter of the project, or carrying DPNs for projects too small to even fit on a 16" cable. Finally -- a way to streamline the number of needles I always keep on hand in my knitting bag!

The method is so easy, I'm kicking myself for not having figured this out myself. Just divide your knitting in half and pull out a loop of cable on either side. I may have been relatively fast on my DPNs, but this is faster. I'm hooked!

Seriously, if you do a lot of knitting on DPNs, look into this. It's as simple and yet as essential as slicing bread.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy cats! That site has so many colorful yarns!

Way to continue my corruption into knitting (if that can be called corrupting someone) . . . at least it's the right season for it.

I've been wanting a pair of circular needles, so I think I'll give these a go.