Saturday, September 06, 2008

A New Monster

I may have created a new monster.

Today we visited one of those "old town" villages filled with specialty shops, and they had a little honey store. I decided to treat myself to some fresh local honey.

The difference is incredible! Whenever I try to describe the taste and the difference between this honey and the mass market stuff, I find myself sounding like a wine taster -- talking about clarity, undertones, and depth of flavor. I keep looking for reasons to consume more honey. Maybe I'll make myself a cup of tea, or a piece of toast, both of which are made just a bit better with a touch of honey. And I can't imagine going back to the supermarket stuff now that I've been so spoiled by "the good stuff."

This could be bad for my diet in the short run, but in the long run I think it'll be a healthier way to satisfy a sweet tooth than my current chocolate habit. (Can anything ever really replace chocolate in my heart? I have my doubts, but we'll soon see.) Plus, I've read that local honey is good for calming envionmental allergies. Mine have been rather present of late, and with hayfever season in full swing, I need all the help I can get.

Am I justifying? Of course I am! Come and join me for cup of tea...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm ... local honey. I agree 100%

~Kris