Thursday, January 22, 2009

Soothing Yellow Pea Soup

This is my favorite "I'm sick" soup. The garlic and lemon juice cut through the congestion, the olive oil and bay make it go down smooth, and the peas make it nutritious. I make it in the crock pot because it doesn't need tending that way, and I don't feel like standing over a stove when I'm sick. But I'm sure you could do this on the stove and get it done a little faster.

1 cup dried yellow split peas
1 dried bay leaf
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
6 cups hot water
1 1/2 tbsps lemon juice
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine peas, bay, garlic, salt, oil, and water in a 4-6 quart crock pot. Heat on high for around 4 hours, or until the peas have broken down and made a smooth, thick soup. Stir in lemon juice and adjust seasoning to taste. Serve hot with big chunks of fresh bread.

No comments: